Rising steeply from the plains north of Melbourne, the Cathedral Ranges are a prominent sight when travelling north. Visualise sitting atop the peak, gazing out over Victoria’s mountain ranges and feeling euphoric at having made the ascent. This can be you!
After a long steady uphill start, the track turns into a sensational walk up the side of the ranges to Mt Cathedral involving some exposed climbing and very steep ascents. You then carefully make your way along the challenging and rewarding razorback. This very technical track has a few tricky sections where we will be there to lend a hand, plus consistent technical walking. After a yummy healthy lunch and magnificent scenery we start the highly stepped descent back to river level before the flat walk back to the start. You'll be feeling inspired and proud of your achievements after this exhilarating day out.
This is a GRADE 5 walk.
See our calendar for a list of all our upcoming walks and other events.
- 7 hrs - 14km walk
- Walk Grade 5. See description here
- This walk has a decent climb, good views and non-technical track surface
- Nice walking tracks and scenery
- Homemade delicious lunch and snacks
- Experienced and qualified guides, first aid, insurance.
- Park entrance fees
Location and Departure Time:
- 8am meeting time - an hour earlier than our usual start!
- Cooks Mills Camp Ground, Cathedral Ranges
- Drive past Buxton heading away from Melbourne.
- Turn right onto Cathedral lane.
- Turn right onto Little River Rd
- Head along dirt road until it crosses the second bridge
- Look for the Take Shape Adventures banner
- Individual transport arrangements - Carpooling is recommended
What to bring:
- Drink bottle, or at least 1ltr for cooler weather and two bottles on a hot day.
- Walking clothes, we generally recommend shorts or light pants with layers for your upper body.
- Sturdy shoes, walking boots or runners
- Medication, camera etc
- A waterproof jacket in case of poor weather
- A small backpack