Our walk starts with a long steep descent, and we mean right down to the bottom where the walk intersects with a small stream and a refreshing break from the thigh burning track. Don't worry though because there is no more downhill!! As we then start the slow ascent back through majestic forests to lunch and past Masons Falls before going onto single track and finishing the ascent right back up to the summit carpark where we started.
This is a Grade 2, 14km walk with a lot of down and up. Enjoy the scenery!
Although long, this is not a technical walk and uses well formed trails.
- 5 hrs - 16km walk
- Walk Grade 3. See description here
- This is hilly walking on non-technical trails.
- Wonderful rugged scenery.
- Homemade delicious lunch and snacks
- Experienced and qualified guides, first aid, insurance.
- Park use fees
Location and Departure Time:
- Make your way to Whittlesea then along Yea Road for approx 13km to Kinglake West.
- Turn right onto Whittlesea-Kinglake Road for 4km then right on National Park Road to the park entrance.
- Turn left and head uphill for 3km to Sugarlaof Summit car park.
- Look for the TSA vehicle or banner.
- Individual transport arrangements - Carpooling is recommended
What to bring:
- Large drink bottle, or two normal drink bottles on a hot day.
- Walking clothes, we generally recommend shorts or light pants with layers for your upper body.
- Sturdy walking boots or trail shoes or runners.
- Hat, or beanie
- Medication, camera etc
- A small backpack