Self Guided Kayak Tours
Self Guided Scenic Yarra River Kayak Tour - For 2
Lockdown adventure needed? Escape with us for a self guided paddle down the Yarra River whilst listening to the birds and soaking in the nature and native bush as you admire the Yarra like never before.
Leisurely paddle down the Yarra River whilst listening to birdsong and admiring the pristine bushland on the water’s edge during this self guided kayak tour. Smoothly glide down the river at your own pace and stop off at one of the many lunch spots along the way. A perfect way to spend the day. Choose between downstream wandering or and upstream/downstream adventure.
Before your trip, you will receive safety information, instructional videos on kayak basics like how to hold your paddle and how to adjust the foot pedals. Then, it’s time to grab your life jacket and be on your way down the river. Visit historical places on your way, going under bridges and admiring the scenery from a new perspective. Enjoy the peace and serenity of your surroundings, filled with lovely birdsong, as you smoothly glide across the water.
- Admire a host of native fauna and flora by the riverbank
- Choose one of several lunch spots dotted along the way
- Paddle self guided along the Yarra River at your own pace
- Paddle down stream makes it easy
- 1 double kayak plus paddles, life jackets, dry bag and map
Leisurely paddle down the Yarra River whilst listening to birdsong and admiring the pristine bushland on the water’s edge during this self guided kayak tour. Head down the river at your own pace and relax as the water assists you to meander your way downstream. A perfect way to spend the day!
- Self guided or Guided kayak tour on the Yarra River
- Instruction prior to getting on the water
- Kayak, paddles, lifejackets, and a dry bag.
- Vehicle for transporting kayaks and people at the end point
You can choose between a scenic 3-4hr downstream paddle one way or a upstream/downstream paddle or your own length. Both sessions include a full safety briefing.
One Way Self Guided
- Participants should start the self guided tour at Alphington Park between 9am and 11am or 12pm and 2pm – a time will be allocated to you.
- Finishing at Yarra Bend Park, just past Studley Park Boathouse roughly 3 hrs later.
- We will meet you at the end, collect boats and driver(s) and take you back to your car.
- There is always a little favourable current so paddling is easy
Upstream/downstream play on the river.
- Start and finish at Alphington Park
- Set the time you want to paddle from 2 – 5 hours.
- Head upstream for as long as you like then turn around and let the river help you back down again.
- This session requires a little more energy, but is a great way to get in some fitness plus an exploration of the River Corridor.
Self Guided One Way River Kayak Tour – For two
Price $120 for 2 people. Approx 3 hrs one way for the 8km paddle. Starting at Alphington Park – Finishing at Studley Park at Yarra Bend.
Self Guided Play of the River
Price Per Boat $60 first hour then $30 per hour thereafter (2 people per boat). Please enquire for availability. Start and finish at Alphington Park.
Photo ID and Bond will be required to secure a booking.
Participants should be 12 years of age and over
You can bring your own Kayak – however please contact us for a quick chat before booking
The boats are all doubles and hire prices are based on a per boat rate. Kayaks to be picked up and dropped off at Alphington Park, unless otherwise stated.
You will be given instructions on safety and tuition to get the most out of the experience.
You will meet the guide at the start of the session and they will take you through an end-to-end paddle experience where you will get the most from our expert knowledge and tuition plus enjoy the safety and on water knowledge of our guides.
You should be fit and agile enough to enter/exit the kayak from shore, paddle the kayak, and sit in a kayak for periods of up to 3hrs.
- Participants must be 12 years of age and over to handle the paddling
- Life jackets must be worn at all times while in the kayak
- Participants must keep their kayaks to the right of the river (opposite to driving in Australia)
Once this experience has been confirmed, changes are at the discretion of the experience provider and arranged directly with them according to this policy:
Cancellations must be made 24 hours prior to expected arrival time
The provider can accommodate groups of up to 14 participants.
Friends can follow along on foot or bike along the river some of the way.
In the event of poor weather conditions, your experience may be rescheduled. Please see our terms and conditions
It is recommended to wear a hat, sunglasses, and outdoor clothing. We recommend active wear and enclosed shoes, no thongs or bare feet allowed.